Thursday 3 May 2012

Hey everyone,

my name is Manig Loeser and I'm a 23-year-old professional Poker Player from Germany currently living in London.

Big part of the reason why I'm starting this blog is Sorel Mizzi's Health Challenge which I'll be participating in.

For most professional Poker Player that are playing a lot of live tournaments it is pretty much impossible to maintain a healthy lifestyle and I'm no exception.


When I'm in London I eat healthy, work out with a Personal Trainer around 3-4 times a week and drink very little alcohol. But as soon as I fly out to play live tournaments (which is more than 2/3 of the year) I get on an awful sleeping schedule, eat roomservice burgers, drink tons of alcohol and work out maybe once or twice a week if at all.

The problem is that there always is a reason to drink. Either you take a horrendous bad beat or missplay a hand on the bubble of a tournament and want to take your mind off the "what-ifs", or you win a tournament and a big chunk of pricemoney and want to celebrate.

Even on the rare occasions that you win an amount of money that you think is "fair" (=close to your true ROI, which we can all  just estimate), and that means that you're not unhappy nor overly excited, chances are that one of your friends just had a 6 or 7 figure score and wants to throw a huge party. I sometimes hate having such successful friends.

And when there's nothing to celebrate at all I still have the problem that I just like beer too much, which is obviously a terrible thing to have in your diet, especially if you try to cut down carbs. But that's mostly because I'm german I guess.


I just got back to London from an exhausting 6 week long trip from Cyprus - Italy - Ireland - Austria - Germany - Monaco and totally destroyed all progress that I made while working with my Trainer and eating 5 healthy meals a day. The only stop where I lived decently healthy and worked out regularly was in Cyprus and the reason for that is that not many of my friends were there and the nightlife over there absolutely sucks.
Even in Berlin where I stayed at the Hyatt, which has probably one of the nicest hotel gyms / spas on the tour, I ended up going there just twice I think because we went out partying way too much. I even packed 3 bags of whey proteins which I estimated would be enough for the whole trip and now that I got back I still have around 70% left. Not a good sign.
Also in retrospect it probably wasn't the smartest idea to travel with transparent bags full of white powder and a big amount of cash in my pocket. Luckily I run good at airport security.


On May 24th I'll move out to Las Vegas for 7.5 weeks to play the World Series of Poker. Last year during that time I lived really unhealthy but not so this year. As most of you know, the healthy food options at the Rio are very limited so this year a bunch of other Poker Players and I will have a Personal Cook/Chef that brings the healthy fresh meals right to the table. To win the Health Challenge I also need to finish a 12 week fitness program and then convince the jury consisting of Sorel, Julie Powers, All American Dave & Christina Lindley with my transformation, blogging and stats.

The good news is that I don't have any trips planned before Vegas (except a short one to Germany for my sister's wedding), so I'll just stay in London, grind the SCOOP and get on a healthy schedule that I can hopefully keep up for the whole duration of the WSOP. This will not just get me in an overall better shape but also increase my ROI in the tournaments and give me a better shot at one of those bracelets, so I'm pretty excited.


Updates on my progress with before / after pictures and the program that I'm using will be made on my bodybuilding.com account which I'll be linking as soon as I set it up and started the challenge.

So long, thanks for reading and stay tuned for the next entry.

Manig

No comments:

Post a Comment